The Historical Model Railway Society has many knowledgeable members who operate as a clearing house for specialist information. We call these members Company Stewards even though some roles are based on a subject, for example signalling, rather than on a particular company. One of the main roles of a Company Steward is to form a strong liaison between the HMRS and other specialist railway societies and individuals for both the conservation and dissemination of information. Members seeking specific or detailed information will often make the relevant company steward their first port of call.
The Company Stewards are able to answer detailed questions, for example relating to such topics as livery, train formations, etc. They should not however be expected to answer very general queries of the type that could be answered by reading readily available published works. In the event of not being able to answer a query directly, the Company Steward will endeavour to point an enquirer toward another source of information. Many of our stewards are involved in complementary societies that specialise in a particular railway interest.
Some stewards have pages dedicated to their own areas of interest and may be contacted via their pages:
- British Rail(ways) Coaching Stock
- Cambrian Railways
- Great North of Scotland Railway
- Great Western Railway Standard Gauge Locomotives
- Highland Railway
- Industrial Railways
- Irish railways (5ft 3in gauge)
- London, Brighton & South Coast Railway
- Midland & South Western Junction Railway
- Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (interim page)
- Private Owner Wagons (Pre 1948)
- South Eastern & Chatham Railway
- South Wales Standard Gauge Railways
- Southern Railway
- Welsh Narrow Gauge Railways
- Working Timetables
Stewards for some other areas of interest may be contacted using the form below.
Please note that the Society is run by volunteers in their spare time so responses may not always be very rapid.